Friday, October 10, 2008

Buddhist Restaurants – Kuan Yin Tea House

I love Buddhist food and so does my family and although we have tried most of the Buddhist cafes and restaurants around Brisbane, our favourite is definitely the Kuan Yin Tea House at 198 Wickham Street, Fortitude Valley right opposite dragon gates in the China Town mall. I suppose the reason that we all like it so much is that the food is so fresh. The owners actually cook all the food themselves from scratch and it is MSG free. The menu is quite extensive but not overwhelming and even though we have tried most of the dishes we always go back to our favourites. The salt and pepper mock fish is my all time favourite main course with sticky rice timbale, toona wrap, battered sweet potato with plum seasoning as my choice of entrees. My son loves the Sweet and sour mock pork, fried dumplings and the Taiwanese fried mock chicken. My husband is easy and likes it all, but his favourite is the dumpling soup and the pepper and salt mock oysters.

We usually find that the total price for a very filling meal is approx. $15 per head, so it certainly is value for money. You’ll need to check the opening times because being a café it is not open very late at night and I know for a fact that it is closed on Tuesdays to give them a much needed break. If you want to contact the Kuan Yin Tea House you can call them on 32524557.

Gayatri
Australian School of Meditation and Yoga